Same old Sydney, exciting new experience 

I am so sad that today marks the last day of my summer / Christmas holidays off work and tomorrow its back to the office full time for another year, well until Canada at this point hehe.

To make the most of my last weekend I organised a girls trip to Sydney to visit Sim again as I have a few times a year since she moved there. Unfortunately Sim had some family stuff happen last week and was not really able to hang with us much but that is okay, we still caught up and will again soon.

Day 1: Friday

I stayed at Erin’s house Thursday night seeing as we were leaving early Friday morning and Ratt was meeting us in Sydney as she too has moved there for work. Our bus left Canberra city at 7.30am and arrived in Sydney at around 11am.. We went with Greyhound who I would recommend over Murrays just because their buses are never as busy so you often get a row to yourself instead of sleeping upright or sitting next to a random and are better equipped at this point in time. They are mostly a bit more pricey than Murrays but I have a little secret.. If you use the following codes you will get discounts on Greyhound buses;
PP2016 – 25% off nation wide
PPCM16 – $55 Canberra to Melbourne
PPCS16 – $29 Canberra to Sydney

On arrival in Sydney we walked a few blocks to our hotel APX World Square which is a great location, only a 5-10 minutes walk from Central Station, Museum Station (which is where buses to the beaches like Bondi and Coogee leave from), Paddys Market/China Town, Pitt Street Mall and directly across the road from World Square mall which has a few great food spots, a Coles and more. Check in is not until 2pm so we dropped off our bags, got changed and headed to Pitt Street Mall for lunch. On one of the top floors of the new Westfield building there is an entire level of various cuisines and it is amazing, everything looks sooo good but we ended up settling for Laksa which was delicious. After Laksa of course it was dessert time so we got some sorbet and gelato from Via Del Corso which has an amazing selection of desserts. Now with happy tummies we strolled around the shops for a little while until Ratt arrived then headed back to the hotel to drop off our things. Our room was a studio apartment with kitchen, dining table, lounge area, bed area and study area. Nothing too fancy but everything we needed was there so I was happy. After dropping our stuff off we went for another little walk to Paddys where we had some snacks then walked through china town back to world square to grab some drinks and snacks for our room. Finally dinner time.. We got ready and walked about 15 minutes to darling Harbour in search of food. Our pick: Adria Bar Restaurant Darling Harbour where we of course had to have cocktails and we all had pasta, mine was prawn fettuccine and the girls had fettuccine carbonara – yum!! After dinner it was back to our hotel where we briefly met sim for a quick catch up then it was off to bed.


Day 2: Saturday 

We all took our time waking up and getting ready on Saturday, I guess because we knew we had work Monday and early check out Sunday so it was technically our last chance at a sleep in for at least a week. Finally around 10.30am we were all ready and headed down the road to china town to our usual yum cha spot – Marigold.
After feeding our faces with delicious dumplings it was time to get started on todays activity.. visiting Coogee Beach. We walked to Museum station where we caught the bus from Sydney CBD to Coogee Beach main street. This is quite a beautiful beach with amazing little rock pools to snorkel or swim in which are kept safe by the local life guards. After spending a decent amount of time admiring the rock pools around Coogee we slapped on some sunscreen and decided we wanted to do the 6km scenic coastal walk between Coogee and world famous Bondi Beach.
The walk passes by other small and beautiful beaches Clovelly Beach, Tamarama, Bronte, Waverley Cemetery and Gordon’s Bay with breathtaking views and photo ops.
We finally got to Bondi Beach around 4pm and realised we needed to go as we had dinner plans at 6.30pm so we grabbed something to cool us down from New Zealand Natural then jumped back on the bus to Sydney CBD.
Back at the hotel we just put on some casual clothes then hailed a cab and we were off to dinner in Glebe at a little Mexican restaurant called Baja Cantina. This is a very cute little place and the food was great! But a quick tip – if you book ahead request to sit in the beer garden, it is beautiful. This is also just a really nice street to walk along and find somewhere to eat as there are lots of cute restaurants running up both sides.
Incredibly full and with our little doggy bag to take home it was back to the apartment to get ready for our night out. We got ready, did our hair and make up then played a round of Kings followed by cards against humanity until we realized the time 11.30pm.. time to hit the town! We jumped in another taxi and off we went to Pacha for some dancing, drinking and eventually a 3am bedtime.



Day 3: Sunday

I’ll keep this brief because we pretty much did nothing.. We got up and checked out (leaving our stuff at the hotel) at around 10am then headed across the road to World Square where we relaxed on fake grass for a few hours before grabbing a quick feed, grabbing our belongings then walking back to Central station to catch our bus home. We arrived back in Canberra around 5pm but I slept the whole bus ride anyway.
Quick thing I learnt on Sunday – World Square has a cute little food lane with various cuisines that could be a yummy place to eat on a day you’re nearby.

Until next time, Weather xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s